Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Golf Update

At last report I was still wildly inconsistent with the woods with some small amount of expertise with the short irons. It got worse!

Shortly after my last golf post, I was getting more and more inconsistent and having trouble finding any tempo or feel at all. I kept at it and saw a few small improvements when I was invited to play 18 at a "real" course nearby. Of course I jumped at the chance and it was simply the most humiliating afternoon I have ever had. I actually had a couple of whiffs, and I can't remember ever getting a club face on the ball solidly, even one time. Argg!

I took a week off as I was not in the mood, and close to giving up. I have spent too much time and energy on this damn game to suck so bad, but if it's not fun, what's the point?

After weeks hiatus, I was out there about every 2 or 3 days trying to find some rhythm (far short of my almost everyday compulsion) and VERY slowly, things started clicking a bit. Unfortunately, I got a bad head cold and was running low on energy, so I didn't hit a ball for two weeks. So I started again.

It took some time and not a little patience but I started to feel a bit better over the ball...I started to get some good contact (with the 3 wood too!) and I was back to playing 9 twice a week and being a range rat about three times.

And now---
The last two times on the course were as much fun as I have ever had playing this silly game. I still lost a couple balls, I had some of the usual high-handicapper problems with chipping and putting, but to actually hit the ball most the time was really a bunch of fun. I may even take a score card out pretty soon!

THINGS FOR ME TO REMEMBER

-RELAX---if I am tense at the top, it's truly and 100% hopeless
-Shoulder turn---at times I feel like I am just using my arms
-A small hip move
-For now, I need a slight fade stance (with the left thumb on top) to keep the woods in play with the draw I want

I will be back soon with a score card!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home